Skip to main content

THE CRAFT OF BRILLIANT CONTENT- LESSON 6

If you've come thus far in the course. I honor you. It tells me that you are disciplined enough to come midway and that you will finish the course. 

CLAP 

CLAP 

CLAP 

CLAP

 

How To Structure Your Speech

The content of your speech is the main thing in public speaking. Any intelligent audience can spot chaff in your presentation. Here is how to brilliantly structure your speech.

A basic speech outline includes 

  • The Opening/Head/Introduction
  • The Body
  • The Conclusion

 

The opening/Head/Introduction

Write this part after you've written your enter speech. This is because the introduction should contain bullets or summary of what the entire speech is about. Make sure it is very captivating. If your opening is slurry or boring, you will lose your audience's attention no matter how fine you look. 

Nail this opening as though it is the only thing you will talk about in the entire presentation. I talk about how to  do this in the module which covers presentation techniques. 

When it is time to make your speech

  • Begin with an attention grabber. Use a story, use an illustration, try humour only if you are good with comedy. Remember to apply the power of pauses we learnt in module 1. 
  • State your purpose/goal. Get them to see why they should listen to you. No one wants to listen to a speech if they don't see the point in it. For instance, " I am here to inspire you to live your dreams"
  • Outline the agenda of the speech. For instance, " I will talk about 3 vices that destroys young people, How to protect your focus and how to use failure to your advantage".
  • Doing these three things at the opening of a speech is guaranteed to grab their attention.


The Body

Remember the main purpose/goal of your speech which you identified in lesson 5, now is this time to flesh it out. When writing the speech, ensure you have at least 3 main points to support your goal or main idea. Use as many relevant examples as possible to clearly  communicate your message. Feel free to let your personality shine through your speech. Discipline yourself to stay with the boundaries of your topic. Don't digress much if you have to digress at all.


The Conclusion

Never end a speech without a power notch. Give it to them hot in a way that, if they didn't want to clap, the end will compel them to. 

In simpler terms, 

  • Summarize your main point: Paraphrase don't repeat every thing you've said word for word
  • Leave with a bang! Get them to want you to say more but then don't. You've ended it all.
  • Call for a Question and Answer if the forum allows. 


Mastering The Flow

The sweetness of food is in how it gels (feels) in your mouth. Same way, the sweetness of words is how it sounds to the ears. Ensure that you speech flows smoothly from introduction to the main body, its supporting points and to the conclusion. See resource below to learn about types of transition and Art of the Segue.


DOWNLOAD WORKSHEET

Resource 1:Components of a Speech

Resource 2: How to fix my transitions

Resource 3: 12 types of speech transitions

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GOD IS KIND: The emptiness of hope

Read part 1 here  In Lagos, I fell ill as soon as I landed. The city is crazy. The traffic is unholy and the carbon monoxide infested air is an extension of hell. I didn't want to get back on that road to any hospital so we got a qualified nurse to come treat me at home.  The Nurse said she couldn't treat me except I did a pregnancy test alongside malaria test. Both came out positive. I was glad that the sickness wasn't Lagos madness inspired. My baby must have wanted to notify me since I refused to take a second look. Unfortunately, she used one of those quinine brands  in attempt to protect the baby. She sadly didn't check with me first.  I became miserable from all the itching like one who hugged devil's beans. I tried to rest as much as I could and thoroughly enjoyed both my family and ministry itinerary while being pampered like an egg. I preached passionately at the event I was invited to. I talked about loving God and serving him devotedly even when disa

GOD IS KIND: The Integrity of his promises

  Read part 5 here My stomach started bulging. I sent pictures of us to my family. My sister-in-law posted on her WhatsApp status. About two or more people told her my face looked pregnant. She told me and I said my usual, Amen. After all, someone that’s been declaring herself pregnant since August should truly look pregnant by December 😂😂 I focused on my vacation, determined to thoroughly enjoy myself. One morning we all hit the gym and I led a dance exercise. Worried about my bulging tummy, I used a vintage  vibrating exercise belt  on my belly. Click the word to see how it works. It vibrated so intensely that my belly “caught fire” I begged to stop. Vacation was over we went  home. At this point, it was barely 3 days to 2021. I had an assignment to submit at school. I started writing it but noticed it was a struggle. It felt as though something foreign had hit my brain. I was also hosting a 12-hour prayer-thon. I managed to pull through these. Then we went for cross over service a

WHY DO “LOOSE” GIRLS MARRY FASTER?

“If this life has anything to gain at all, I’ll count it lost if I can’t hear you feel you, cause I need you…” rang my amazing ringtone by Lecrae. I picked up the sleek darling to see who misses me. It was this pretty friend of mine. Ada (Not real name) and I met at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in our first year. We had a lot in common and she was just my type (whatever that means) LOL. Anyway, I was (and still am) literally and figuratively in love with God and I noticed her heart was committed to God and His standards too. Well, we graduated four years later and you know how life happens. We haven’t really kept in touch for a while. I heard sometime back that she was engaged and I called to say congratulations.  We talked about how life had been since after school and how we both are still fervently loving and serving the Lord. She said her wedding was three months away and I told her I definitely needed the aso-ebi (A uniform material sold to people who wis