Skip to main content

ARE YOU RUINING YOUR FUTURE BY THIS?





The plan of the diligent lead surely to abundance but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.” Proverbs 21:5(NIV)

At age 6, my sister and I used to play grown-ups. We would invade my momma‘s wardrobe and wear her clothes, shoes and even her bra (I‘m feeling shy).

I used to get a dress, pad it up on my chest and wear her bra on it. I would then wear a top belonging to her (mom) and go stand in front of the mirror. I would stand there admiring myself and trying to sound like an adult. I dreamt of becoming a grown-up like mom. I was quite in a haste to become an adult.

When I grew up, I realized there was nothing about adulthood to hurry into. Adulthood is filled with responsibilities and cold realities of the teacher called experience.
I‘m a grown woman now, with actual mammary glands rather than a cloth –in momma‘s-bra. However, the story didn‘t end up so smoothly for some girls who tried to hurry into adulthood too.

I heard of a girl whose mammary glands are conspicuously unequal. This was because she was pulling them as a teenager. She couldn‘t wait to look like a lady.
Like this girl, some people don‘t survive the harsh effect of hastiness.

We want to grow rich over night, have twenty million followers on twitter in one week, win a Grammy on a debut single and build an estate before we turn thirty! The media puts so much pressure on us. They make it look like if we aren‘t getting much facebook likes or raking in millions on our first business attempts, then we aren‘t among the happening people.

Crap!

#RollingMyEyes


Hastiness is a silent killer of the future.

Many things that you can hardly wait to get are actually waiting in your future. It is better to wait and build yourself for the future than to prematurely call it forth.

What's the rush about?

What is pressurizing you into believing that if you don‘t get married before you turned 25 as a lady or 30 as a man, then you are late?

Who or what defines late by the way? Did they form you in the belly of your mother? Did they assist the creator in writing out an impeccable plan for your destiny?

Who do you belong to anyway?

If you belong to the world, then permit them to pressurize you into rushing anything.
If you belong to God – the one who formed and owns the heavens and the earth then, let him take you into the great things reserved for you (long before the world begun) in his time.

If you enter the glory of your future today, what glory would you ride on when the future comes? Nothing is worth the rush!

There is a reason we need to allow ourselves mature and get sufficient wisdom for things. Sometimes, we think that we are ready and mature when we actually are not.

God is the author of time and He in his wisdom, has scheduled various things at certain times in your life. Please don‘t try to help yourself get them before time.
Those who attempted either lived with the brutal scar of hastiness or died by its deadly blow.

People don't ordinarily become hasty. Some things are responsible for it. The triggers below are responsible for a hasty spirit.
THE TRIGGERS
1.    Comparison
We often don‘t know what weight of burden this seemingly normal mental exercise leaves on our hearts. When you compare yourself with others, you gradually drug your mind into a state of falsehood. Your mind magnifies the achievement of the other person and belittles yours.
At this point, it becomes hard for you to see that your destiny is unique and so are your processes.

There is a process mapped out for you. This process is a well-thought path, founded on God‘s wisdom to give you an expected end. See this
When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise.”2 Corinthians 10:12(NIV)

This simply means you are being foolish when you compare yourself with others.

Comparison leaves you feeling proud or inferior. When it leaves you proud, you unconsciously place a lock on your untapped potential. When it leaves you inferior, you are pushed by its daunting voice to hasten up an achievement.
Never compare yourself with others.

2.     Time Consciousness
I definitely do not expect you to be laid back and unconcerned
about how well your life is doing at each point in time. However, I do not support the nursing of a false feeling that time is against you. Truth be told, Sometimes when we felt that time was against us, it was actually not time yet. When you get too conscious of your age, what year it is and all that, you are prone to being hasty.
So if you feel like you are behind schedule, go to God and ask for wisdom on how to measure up. Let Him know what you desire and make up your mind to trust Him with your life. Trusting God means that you will let Him do what
He thinks is best at His own time. Ever heard of this scripture?

 “He hath made everything beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11(NIV) Emphasis added

This scripture just shuts down my adrenaline of hastiness each time I read it. It tells me that even if I sat all year, I will never completely understand what God is making out of me. Now this is why you and I need to trust in the creator‘s wisdom.

"What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator? Does a clay pot argue with its maker? Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, 'Stop, you're doing it wrong?' Does the pot exclaim, 'How clumsy can you be? Isaiah 45:9 (NLT)

Never forget that you are the clay and God is the experienced and skilled potter. Let him do it in His time.

3.    Undue Pressure
Pressure is a mental and emotional compression from an external source. The earlier triggers mentioned can result in this. However, other people such as our parents, pastors, mentors, spouses or/and children could put undue pressure on us.
When you feel like you have to please someone or live up to their expectation/ standard, you become pressured into finding the quickest way out. Do not let anyone pressurize you into making hasty decisions. You would be the one to bear the brunt in the end and they will serve you with a cold, ―You weren‘t Smart enough. 

Sometimes I feel pressured too. When I notice that I‘m getting under pressure‘s cold crushing fist, I withdraw into the arms of my loving Christ.
For each time I went to the King, He had just the right thing to say.

He wants to talk you out of all that pressure and lovingly talk you into His unfailing design for your life in a way that brings great peace.
Do not entertain pressure.

4.    Fear of Failure
This is responsible for most hasty decision that people make. You probably fear that if you waited for God's timing, you would end up poor, single, unknown or even helpless.
Listen, that‘s a huge lie. Satan‘s greatest scheme is the conviction of your mind to believe a lie against God. He wants you to think that God is partial, won‘t care about you, and won't do what you've asked for. If only you knew that God is willing and able to do for you beyond all you can ever ask, think or imagine- Ephesians 3:20
Listen darling, what we fear is often a mirage. The real thing is in your favor!
Rather than feed your fear of failure, feed your faith for success!

5.     Inferiority
This is often a direct product of comparison. Inferiority makes people chase offers they haven‘t verified because they long for something or someone to validate them.
I have seen ladies marry men who appeared wealthy at first only to discover that those men were living on loans. When the loan comes crashing their men, they launched into a depth of poverty they never dreamt about. They fell victim because they felt inferior around their friends who married wealthy husbands.
You won't feel inferior to anyone or anybody if you learnt to draw your worth from God's word. Stop waiting for the media to endorse you. Stop waiting for the world's system to validate you. Let God‘s word validate you. When you let God's word do, you would soon become the envy of the others.
You are worth more than you know.
THE BANE
6.     Poverty
Contrary to popular opinion, hastiness or being smart as the world puts it, leads to poverty. We see people hastily invest into a business and in the end, all they had is gone. Another group hears of money doublers and because they can hardly wait to get rich, they sell their priceless properties and invest in the magic of the money doublers. I‘m yet to hear of anyone whom money double-ing made wealthy. These hasty actions take away rather than give back.
“The plan of the diligent lead surely to abundance but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.” Proverbs 21:5(NIV)

7.    Mistakes
Have you tried writing in haste? Did it give you the best of your writing? I guess you mis-spelt some important words, right? That‘s what happens when we try to write the story of our lives in haste. We end up signing deals with conditions that are against us, getting married to people who are a complete no-no, and a whole lot of things that we may never be able to undo. The sad thing about life is that we do not have an eraser which can undo some of the grave mistakes we make.
An eraser is there for a mistake made with a pencil, a tipp-ex is there for a mistake made with an ink (though it leaves a mark), what eraser is there for the mistakes made with your life?
Enthusiasm without knowledge is no good; haste makes mistakes.” Proverbs 19:2 (NLT)

8.    Dissatisfaction
Haste promises a false sense of relief and satisfaction. However, as soon as we give into its pressure, we end up grossly dissatisfied. It is then we realize that we had lost more and may never be able to get it back.
Haste has left a lot of people feeling empty and helpless. You don‘t want to live the rest of your life feeling so, do you?

9.     Regret
How I hate this feeling of sadness over something that already happened.
Regret can eat up your mind, ruin your energy and kill your zest for the future.
Why hurry into something that you might regret?
Let God lead you into your perfect future. Let him have the reins.

THE ESCAPE PLOT
1.             Be patient. The cure for hasty spirit is patience. Patience is got from shifting our eyes from the cause of our anxiety to the faithfulness and reliability of God.
  “I lift up my eyes to the hills- where does my help come from? My        help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:1/2 (NIV)

2.    Accept the truth that God knows better than you do. He is wise and you can trust in his infinite wisdom
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own
understanding.” Proverbs 3:5 (NIV)

2.    Know that God loves you and rely on His Love for you.
“And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.” 1 John 4:16 (NIV)

Adapted From The Book 7 SIGNS YOU ARE SABOTAGING YOUR FUTURE BY Anne Atulaegwu (Copyright 2014)

Committed to your Fulfilment 
Anne Atulaegwu

Hey! Join me at Tamar's Pouch Conference in July!!1 (Ladies Only)
Click Tamar's Pouch 2016 to Register




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GOD IS KIND: The emptiness of hope

Read part 1 here  In Lagos, I fell ill as soon as I landed. The city is crazy. The traffic is unholy and the carbon monoxide infested air is an extension of hell. I didn't want to get back on that road to any hospital so we got a qualified nurse to come treat me at home.  The Nurse said she couldn't treat me except I did a pregnancy test alongside malaria test. Both came out positive. I was glad that the sickness wasn't Lagos madness inspired. My baby must have wanted to notify me since I refused to take a second look. Unfortunately, she used one of those quinine brands  in attempt to protect the baby. She sadly didn't check with me first.  I became miserable from all the itching like one who hugged devil's beans. I tried to rest as much as I could and thoroughly enjoyed both my family and ministry itinerary while being pampered like an egg. I preached passionately at the event I was invited to. I talked about loving God and serving him devotedly even when disa

GOD IS KIND: The Integrity of his promises

  Read part 5 here My stomach started bulging. I sent pictures of us to my family. My sister-in-law posted on her WhatsApp status. About two or more people told her my face looked pregnant. She told me and I said my usual, Amen. After all, someone that’s been declaring herself pregnant since August should truly look pregnant by December 😂😂 I focused on my vacation, determined to thoroughly enjoy myself. One morning we all hit the gym and I led a dance exercise. Worried about my bulging tummy, I used a vintage  vibrating exercise belt  on my belly. Click the word to see how it works. It vibrated so intensely that my belly “caught fire” I begged to stop. Vacation was over we went  home. At this point, it was barely 3 days to 2021. I had an assignment to submit at school. I started writing it but noticed it was a struggle. It felt as though something foreign had hit my brain. I was also hosting a 12-hour prayer-thon. I managed to pull through these. Then we went for cross over service a

WHY DO “LOOSE” GIRLS MARRY FASTER?

“If this life has anything to gain at all, I’ll count it lost if I can’t hear you feel you, cause I need you…” rang my amazing ringtone by Lecrae. I picked up the sleek darling to see who misses me. It was this pretty friend of mine. Ada (Not real name) and I met at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in our first year. We had a lot in common and she was just my type (whatever that means) LOL. Anyway, I was (and still am) literally and figuratively in love with God and I noticed her heart was committed to God and His standards too. Well, we graduated four years later and you know how life happens. We haven’t really kept in touch for a while. I heard sometime back that she was engaged and I called to say congratulations.  We talked about how life had been since after school and how we both are still fervently loving and serving the Lord. She said her wedding was three months away and I told her I definitely needed the aso-ebi (A uniform material sold to people who wis