Skip to main content

7 SHADES OF FOLLY

PhotoCourtesy: Word4Ten

Have you ever stopped in the middle of a sentence because you felt you’ve just said something awkward? (Laughs)
I’ve been there and trust me there are more awkward moments when you wish you could literally enter the ground.
Folly means different things to different people. To one person, it is spending money on something you never would use, to another it is responding to a question before it is completely asked and to some other person, it could be constantly making wrong decisions.
I often hear people say one is foolish when he/she fails to display “common sense” in a matter.  The same people eventually admit that “common sense is not common at all”.  (Laughs)
You see, folly isn’t often obvious at first until the repercussion of our action takes its toll on us.  This is why I have put this piece together to help us (you and I) watch out for “folly” so we can rather walk in wisdom.

So below are the various shades of folly.
1.    DENIAL: The act of asserting that something or a statement is not true. A good example would be when one denies the existence of God. Psalms 14:1 says, “The fool says in his heart, “there is no God.”  I understand how life can make us get a twisted look on reality especially when we’ve been dealt tremendous blows during times we expected God to act on our behalf. However, we must know that our perception NEVER changes the TRUTH about REALITY.  Click to Tweet This
God exists whether our wishes come true or not.


Other ways people demonstrate this shade of folly is when they just won’t accept the truth about a situation in their life. Some people take it to be walking by faith. They often don’t realize that Faith acknowledges the situation and then places trust in God to help with the situation. Instead they totally deny that the situation exists. One area where we often make that mistake is in our health. Some people think taking drugs is demonstrating distrust to the healing power in the name of Jesus.
I believe that the medical sciences are a demonstration of God’s wisdom. It is God who helps researchers find solution to the various plagues on man’s health.
There are moments when God heals THROUGH medical sciences and there are moments when He heals simply by a word of prayer.  It’s just like cases were one woman experiences vaginal birth and the other brings forth through Caesarian Operation (CS). Would we say that the later brought forth a less human? It’s the same thing with getting healed through medical support or without it. Healing is healing my dear.  
Look love, just so you know I’m not speaking out of ignorance; here is my story.
At age 9 I was diagnosed with Asthma. It was a terrible season in life for me. I used inhalers and often got injected with aminophiline and crysta-something. I remember when I got into the boarding house at age 12, ventolin tablets were a high priority on my provision list. To cut a long story short, I had to live with that from age 9 till I was 14. The doctor had said I had to live with it for the rest of my life if I don’t outgrow it at age 16. I didn’t want to wait till I was 16.
Then one day, I had an attack and I said, “God, I’m not going to use my inhaler. I have to get healed today! If I die you are going to explain to me when I come to Zion how this crap is supposed to take my life. You said I was healed by your strips so now I have to be healed”. It was a tough tough one. That term I had returned to school without my inhaler and I hid all the ventolin tablets my parents got for me therefore, when this attack came, I was either going to die or get healed.
You know I dint die cos I’m writing this. The attack calmed and I eventually got a hold on air.
It wasn’t easy trust me and yes, it was a big risk.


What’s my point? Asthma had no cure at the time. I had just one option-JESUS and I chose Him. I acknowledged my condition. I tried to avoid triggers and when I eventually had an attack, I held on to him. Till date, I’m asthma free even though I’m still sensitive to cold like other normal people.
Whether God heals through medical sciences or not? Healing is healing. Embrace it! Afterall, there are people who use all the medical care and eventually die. Doctors even tell you, “We cure but God Heals”.
So darling, DENIAL is FOLLY.

2.    CORRUPTION: The act of being immoral or dishonest.
 Psalms 14:1 says, “The fool is corrupt”.
Most people associate immorality with the sins of fornication and adultery but immorality transcends those. It encompasses everything that opposes the standard of God and godliness.
We are often faced with options and have to consciously prepare to choose right over wrong.
Every form of corruption (wrong doing) is folly.

3.    SIMPLICITY: The state of being easily convinced gullible and taking things at face value.
Proverbs 14:15 says, “The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. Proverbs 8:5 says, “Oh ye simple understand wisdom”.
I already trashed this one on an earlier post. CLICK TO READ more on the folly of simplicity.


4.    SCORN: This is otherwise known as mockery. It is the act of deriding God’s word or rebelling against His instruction. Proverbs 14:6 says “A scorner seeketh wisdom and findeth it not but knowledge is easy unto him that understandeth.
Why would a scorner seek wisdom and not find it? It is because you can never access what you deride. Click to Tweet This
God’s word is wisdom. God’s counsel is wisdom. If you mock it, you will stay foolish. #Selah

5.    CONTENTION:  Most of us have strong opinions that we wish to express in the heat of an argument. Proverbs 18:6 says, “A fool’s lip enter into contention and his mouth calleth for strokes.”
I’ve always been an opinionated person. I’m hardly in the middle on a matter. I often know what I want and I can adequately tell you in plain English. There were times when that felt like a great gift and there were times when life said,”Annie, you have to shut up”.
Proverbs 29:11 says, “A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards (the right time).” KJV emphasis added.
Have you ever been beaten up for something you said? Have you ever lost a friendship or relationship because you couldn’t hold back your opinion? Then you need the wisdom of “shut-up and Let-go”.
Sometimes, it doesn’t matter who is wrong or right. What matters most is knowing when you should hold your tongue rather than argue.
Contention is folly.


6.    SLANDER: Oh the effectual use of the tongue to kill the image of others. This skill has been for centuries and is highly possessed by fools. Proverbs 10:18 says, “He that hideth hatred with lying lips and he that uttereth a slander is a fool.”
Truth be told, you really can’t like everyone at least not to the same degree. However, we shouldn’t say we love them while they watch and go right behind them to make them walking corpses in the eyes of others.
Be honest with yourself. Don’t go about telling people you don’t like them. Neither should you say you like them when you don’t. Doing so is being foolish.
If you’ve got issues with someone, first talk to God before you talk to them. This is because the wisdom to relate with men is given by God never by our emotions. I’m learning to do this often too. 

Read: Slander

7.    I-TOO-KNOW (ITK): The act of trusting your ignorance because you are the only one who doesn’t know that you don’t know. Proverbs 28:26 says, “He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.
It’s folly to think that we can single handedly know all about a matter or embark on projects successfully.
We should seek counsel often.
The 3 places to seek counsel are
1.    The word of God (scriptures)
2.     A professional
3.    The Holyspirit
4.    A trusted/mature believer
5.    Research materials

Hey! Thanks for reading
Subscribe to my youtube channel HERE

Committed to your fulfilment

Anne Atulaegwu

Related Videos

HOW TO HANDLE YOUR WEAKNESSES



MOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF EVERYDAY


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GOD IS KIND: The emptiness of hope

Read part 1 here  In Lagos, I fell ill as soon as I landed. The city is crazy. The traffic is unholy and the carbon monoxide infested air is an extension of hell. I didn't want to get back on that road to any hospital so we got a qualified nurse to come treat me at home.  The Nurse said she couldn't treat me except I did a pregnancy test alongside malaria test. Both came out positive. I was glad that the sickness wasn't Lagos madness inspired. My baby must have wanted to notify me since I refused to take a second look. Unfortunately, she used one of those quinine brands  in attempt to protect the baby. She sadly didn't check with me first.  I became miserable from all the itching like one who hugged devil's beans. I tried to rest as much as I could and thoroughly enjoyed both my family and ministry itinerary while being pampered like an egg. I preached passionately at the event I was invited to. I talked about loving God and serving him devotedly even when disa

GOD IS KIND: The Integrity of his promises

  Read part 5 here My stomach started bulging. I sent pictures of us to my family. My sister-in-law posted on her WhatsApp status. About two or more people told her my face looked pregnant. She told me and I said my usual, Amen. After all, someone that’s been declaring herself pregnant since August should truly look pregnant by December 😂😂 I focused on my vacation, determined to thoroughly enjoy myself. One morning we all hit the gym and I led a dance exercise. Worried about my bulging tummy, I used a vintage  vibrating exercise belt  on my belly. Click the word to see how it works. It vibrated so intensely that my belly “caught fire” I begged to stop. Vacation was over we went  home. At this point, it was barely 3 days to 2021. I had an assignment to submit at school. I started writing it but noticed it was a struggle. It felt as though something foreign had hit my brain. I was also hosting a 12-hour prayer-thon. I managed to pull through these. Then we went for cross over service a

WHY DO “LOOSE” GIRLS MARRY FASTER?

“If this life has anything to gain at all, I’ll count it lost if I can’t hear you feel you, cause I need you…” rang my amazing ringtone by Lecrae. I picked up the sleek darling to see who misses me. It was this pretty friend of mine. Ada (Not real name) and I met at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in our first year. We had a lot in common and she was just my type (whatever that means) LOL. Anyway, I was (and still am) literally and figuratively in love with God and I noticed her heart was committed to God and His standards too. Well, we graduated four years later and you know how life happens. We haven’t really kept in touch for a while. I heard sometime back that she was engaged and I called to say congratulations.  We talked about how life had been since after school and how we both are still fervently loving and serving the Lord. She said her wedding was three months away and I told her I definitely needed the aso-ebi (A uniform material sold to people who wis