Skip to main content

PATRIARCHS AND MATRIARCHS OF FAITH : LESSONS FROM THEIR ACTS 1



For by it [faith] the elders obtained a good report” (Heb. 11: 2).

Patriarch refers to any of the biblical figures regarded as fathers of the human race, especially Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and or the sons of Jacob.

However,  the clause Patriachs of faith refers person(s) regarded as the father or founder of an order, class (in this case the order of faith)
(online dictionary)

These men of old, the patriarchs of ancient times, made a record and obtained witness to their high character and achievements through bold displays of faith.
Let’s have a look at some of them.

I will not talk about the popular patriarchs; as we all know and can apply dimensions of their faith exhibits to our lives.

I will talk about the unpopular ones

    1.    Jashobeam: Leader of David's top three mighty men who killed 800 mighty warrior in a single battle. 
As "simple" as this sounds on paper/screen, it is a rare feat wroth by faith.
It takes a man who trusts in his backup to engage the warriors on his territory. 
Jashobeam didn’t wake up that day choosing to slay 800 men. He woke up relying on the arm of His God.

From this patriarch we learn, that Faith is seeing God's arm hold yours to do the humanly impossible.

Reference: 2 Samuel 23:8

    2.   Eleazer: Second in rank among David’stop three mighty men. He stood against the philistines when all the Israeli soldiers (except He and David) ran away.
 The soldiers returned to share the plunder after action movie had ended.

Eleazar killed Philistine warriors that day until He could no longer raise his sword.

From this Patriarch we learn that, Faith is the courage to stand alone and long enough for God to show up!

Reference: 2 Samuel 23:9-10

   3.   Mary Joseph: Honoured mother of Jesus, who accepted a senseless prophesy to house a baby while being a virgin.

Confused?
Disturbed?
Afraid?      

Yet she would found the strength to say to the angel, "Be it unto me according to your word".

From this Matriarch we learn that, Faith is surrendering to God's proposal even when it sounds grossly unconvincing.

Reference: Luke 1:26-38


    4.   Samson: Born a consecrated Judge with the mandate to begin the deliverance of Israel. -Judges 13:6

Trapped by the betrayal of his lust, led into chains by unveiling the secret of his life, he stood as a statue of mockery before the philistines.
Without eyes nor hair, He dared ask the Lord to help restore his hair for he was aware that if the efficacy of the covenant was tied to his hair, then  he could still do something regardless of his handicap situation.

Hair restored and with one push, He killed at his death, more than he killed in his life time. And so began, the deliverance of Israel. 

From this Partriarch, we learn that Faith is knowing that God will always keep His own side of the deal.

Reference: Judges 13-15

   5.   Apostle Paul: Converted in a rare way by a home video effect encounter with Christ.

Paul would rather go up to Jerusalem to tell the Jews that the Messiah had come in the person of Jesus, after being warned by a prophet to not go.

He equally got another warning by God himself to leave Jerusalem yet remained because He would rather bear witness to the truth in the place where he once fought so hard to extinguish it. 

From this Patriarch we learn that, Faith is a deep conviction in the person of Christ so much that you're willing to die, should it come to that.

Reference: Acts 21

    6.   Ruth: Witnessed her mother in law (Naomi) talk about/serve a God who was "present and watching" while her two sons and husband died.

Ruth would rather follow an empty, bitter Naomi, confessing allegiance to that God and Israel. Ruth 1:16

Highly unqualified, yet found her way into the genealogy of the Messiah. Matthew 1

From this matriarch we learn that, Faith is loyalty to destiny (God Ordained) relationships even when reward seem inevident.

Reference: The book of Ruth

     7.    Rahab: The prostitute of Jericho.

She believed in the strength of an unfamiliar God, so much to partner (by taking in the spies) with Him to bring down her own nation.

This beauty made it into the geneology of the messiah because she dared believe  in the reputation of an unfamiliar God.

From this Matriarch we learn that, Faith is discerning the next move of God and aligning with Him even if it will cost you the loss of a comfort/familiar zone.
Reference: Joshua 2

Dear You,

If 4000 years were added to the endurance of the earth, would you be mentioned as a partriarch or matriarch of faith?

The list of FAITH-fulls didn’t end in the book of revelation. Like Paul said in Hebrews 11, "time would fail me to mention others who through faith  overthrew kingdoms,  turned their weaknesses to strength, Received what God had promised them etc".
 Therefore we must bear in mind the truth that every day we live is an opportunity to brandish our shield of faith. Not just only because there is a Zion's hall of faith to etch your name but also because life is too short to live without FAITH.

No time to say No FAITH!!

BRANDISH (wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement your shield of faith
        Source: Dictionary online


Committed to your fulfillment
Anne Atulaegwu




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GOD IS KIND: The emptiness of hope

Read part 1 here  In Lagos, I fell ill as soon as I landed. The city is crazy. The traffic is unholy and the carbon monoxide infested air is an extension of hell. I didn't want to get back on that road to any hospital so we got a qualified nurse to come treat me at home.  The Nurse said she couldn't treat me except I did a pregnancy test alongside malaria test. Both came out positive. I was glad that the sickness wasn't Lagos madness inspired. My baby must have wanted to notify me since I refused to take a second look. Unfortunately, she used one of those quinine brands  in attempt to protect the baby. She sadly didn't check with me first.  I became miserable from all the itching like one who hugged devil's beans. I tried to rest as much as I could and thoroughly enjoyed both my family and ministry itinerary while being pampered like an egg. I preached passionately at the event I was invited to. I talked about loving God and serving him devotedly even when disa

GOD IS KIND: The Integrity of his promises

  Read part 5 here My stomach started bulging. I sent pictures of us to my family. My sister-in-law posted on her WhatsApp status. About two or more people told her my face looked pregnant. She told me and I said my usual, Amen. After all, someone that’s been declaring herself pregnant since August should truly look pregnant by December 😂😂 I focused on my vacation, determined to thoroughly enjoy myself. One morning we all hit the gym and I led a dance exercise. Worried about my bulging tummy, I used a vintage  vibrating exercise belt  on my belly. Click the word to see how it works. It vibrated so intensely that my belly “caught fire” I begged to stop. Vacation was over we went  home. At this point, it was barely 3 days to 2021. I had an assignment to submit at school. I started writing it but noticed it was a struggle. It felt as though something foreign had hit my brain. I was also hosting a 12-hour prayer-thon. I managed to pull through these. Then we went for cross over service a

WHY DO “LOOSE” GIRLS MARRY FASTER?

“If this life has anything to gain at all, I’ll count it lost if I can’t hear you feel you, cause I need you…” rang my amazing ringtone by Lecrae. I picked up the sleek darling to see who misses me. It was this pretty friend of mine. Ada (Not real name) and I met at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in our first year. We had a lot in common and she was just my type (whatever that means) LOL. Anyway, I was (and still am) literally and figuratively in love with God and I noticed her heart was committed to God and His standards too. Well, we graduated four years later and you know how life happens. We haven’t really kept in touch for a while. I heard sometime back that she was engaged and I called to say congratulations.  We talked about how life had been since after school and how we both are still fervently loving and serving the Lord. She said her wedding was three months away and I told her I definitely needed the aso-ebi (A uniform material sold to people who wis