Skip to main content

WHY DOES HE EVEN PROMISE?



When I newly got saved at age 9, each time father made me promises, I will be sooooo excited.

My eyes will pop, I will almost want to tell anyone who cared to hear. 

The things he said to a 9 year old girl where too big for her mind to fathom. I couldn't wait to grow up. I had to see, be and have all He promised.

I carried that auto excitement response mode into my teen years. Father won't stop painting fancy pictures. He won't stop saying high sounding things and I believed all of it.

Eventually, I saw most of what He said happening before my eyes. I could say like the psalmist to my onlookers, "Taste and See that my Lord is good".

Teen years ended at 19. I had my 20th birthday and everything changed. I had some significant experiences in my 16th and 19th year that gave me a rude awakening.




I found that His promises, those sweet whispers came with  price tags. Some of which He wouldn't say until you are about to pick them from the store.

One of those price tags is The Wait.

If you asked me, the wait is the most expensive price tag.
Praying is cheap, fasting is cheap, promptly following instruction is cheap but the wait, it is the most expensive.

From age 20 till 29, I understood the weight and impact of seasons and times in those sweet whispers He drowned my ears and heart in. 

When that writer said one thousand years was like a day before Father's eyes, He didn't have Ijebu garri interferring with his reasoning.

How can father not have told me that some of those things He promised wouldn't happen in my 20's or 30's or 40's or 50's even?

I should have known, considering the examples He gave me didn't see these things He promised as teenagers nor in their twenties.




I remember Mr Abram.
75 years old and excited about Father's big talk. He was willing and followed Father to an unknown place.

At age 99, 24 years later instead of father to give Abram a Son, Father came to do naming ceremony. Abram will now be Abraham and his wife sarai will now be Sarah.


Like seriously? 


"If our names were the hinderance to our conception why didn't you change it the first day you called me out?"
Abram must have thought.

After naming ceremony, they waited another year to have Isaac.

God must like drama right??

Seat here my love.
I need to explain a few things to you.


The wait is not what you think. Father didn't forget. 
Father didn't change His mind. The witches didn't tie Sarah's womb nor your destiny.

A schedule was playing out. See this  

"Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah." Mathew 1:17

That can't possibly be coincidence. Father had it planned out. For some reasons, Isaac needed to be born in Abraham's 100th year. One of those reasons being that God had a schedule He apparently didn't tell Abraham about.

Read: The Schedule


But why does father tell us years ahead?


✔ To Build Expectation 

I found that expectation is a powerful force that permits the occurrence of an event on earth.
Expectation is cousin to hope. The stronger your expectation the most likely it is to happen (all other variables been equal).

"For surely there is an end; and thine expectation shall not be cut off. " Proverbs 23:18 (KJV)



✔ So that we can cooperate with His preparation procedure.

God's promises are never about the occurrence of an event ONLY. It is ALWAYS about a people. He therefore builds one man by whom He builds a people.

Abraham had to follow the preparation procedure because He was going to birth a nation who also would have to depend on Father's Calendar and trust His Itinerary for their lives.

The procedure was

Promise - excitement - waiting - 
Doubting (optional) - testing - refining - reassurrance - Fulfilment. 

During the wait, He Let's us build muscles via tests He permits. 

Based on the results, He refines us so we can be fit to bear the weight of His glory on that promise.

Then He reassures us, so we know He didn't walk away and finally,

The promise is fulfilled.

Although I hate the wait but I somehow find patience and strength to endure when I remember that at 9, I couldn't handle  the weight of His glory on the Promise.

20 years after, my muscles are well developed for the promises fulfilled so far.

While I wait for the others, I will rejoice in His love for me.

That He would even choose me is still something I am baffled about.

As you enter the new year, keep these in mind. " 

"No, I will not break my covenant; I will not take back a single word I said." Psalms 89:34 (NIV)

"For all of God's promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding "Yes!" And through Christ, our "Amen" (which means "Yes") ascends to God for his glory."
2 Corinthians 1:20 (NLT)


Committed to your fulfilment


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GOD IS KIND: The emptiness of hope

Read part 1 here  In Lagos, I fell ill as soon as I landed. The city is crazy. The traffic is unholy and the carbon monoxide infested air is an extension of hell. I didn't want to get back on that road to any hospital so we got a qualified nurse to come treat me at home.  The Nurse said she couldn't treat me except I did a pregnancy test alongside malaria test. Both came out positive. I was glad that the sickness wasn't Lagos madness inspired. My baby must have wanted to notify me since I refused to take a second look. Unfortunately, she used one of those quinine brands  in attempt to protect the baby. She sadly didn't check with me first.  I became miserable from all the itching like one who hugged devil's beans. I tried to rest as much as I could and thoroughly enjoyed both my family and ministry itinerary while being pampered like an egg. I preached passionately at the event I was invited to. I talked about loving God and serving him devotedly even when disa

GOD IS KIND: The Integrity of his promises

  Read part 5 here My stomach started bulging. I sent pictures of us to my family. My sister-in-law posted on her WhatsApp status. About two or more people told her my face looked pregnant. She told me and I said my usual, Amen. After all, someone that’s been declaring herself pregnant since August should truly look pregnant by December 😂😂 I focused on my vacation, determined to thoroughly enjoy myself. One morning we all hit the gym and I led a dance exercise. Worried about my bulging tummy, I used a vintage  vibrating exercise belt  on my belly. Click the word to see how it works. It vibrated so intensely that my belly “caught fire” I begged to stop. Vacation was over we went  home. At this point, it was barely 3 days to 2021. I had an assignment to submit at school. I started writing it but noticed it was a struggle. It felt as though something foreign had hit my brain. I was also hosting a 12-hour prayer-thon. I managed to pull through these. Then we went for cross over service a

WHY DO “LOOSE” GIRLS MARRY FASTER?

“If this life has anything to gain at all, I’ll count it lost if I can’t hear you feel you, cause I need you…” rang my amazing ringtone by Lecrae. I picked up the sleek darling to see who misses me. It was this pretty friend of mine. Ada (Not real name) and I met at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in our first year. We had a lot in common and she was just my type (whatever that means) LOL. Anyway, I was (and still am) literally and figuratively in love with God and I noticed her heart was committed to God and His standards too. Well, we graduated four years later and you know how life happens. We haven’t really kept in touch for a while. I heard sometime back that she was engaged and I called to say congratulations.  We talked about how life had been since after school and how we both are still fervently loving and serving the Lord. She said her wedding was three months away and I told her I definitely needed the aso-ebi (A uniform material sold to people who wis