Skip to main content

THINK EQUAL, BUILD SMART, INNOVATE FOR CHANGE.

Chinwe Iromuanya
 Founder, The Enabled Life Organization

Oh how extremely beautiful it is to be a woman!

It is International Women's Day and we can't keep silent about who we are as women and the exceptional ways we have lived far above the status quo, pushed borders and set front line examples.

Our ICON for the year is no other but a woman who has truly lived the theme of the International Women's day, 2019 -Think Equal, Build Smart, Innovate for Change.

Born in Nigeria, almost 52 years ago, during a Civil war; the odds were fiercely up against Chichi or any child with Cerebral Palsy.

Cerebral Palsy (CP) is a congenital disorder of movement, muscle tone or posture. 

Chinwe Iromuanya popularly known as ChiChi Iro despite CP, is an unmatchable force to reckon with.

I first met Chichi in 2017 at a women's conference held in Lagos. I saw this "wobbly" walking woman on block heels walk in and taken straight to the speakers' table.

I was drawn  by her beauty which shone undaunted by her medical condition. I soon found that her beauty stood no chance when placed side by side with her grace,  intelligence and wisdom when she walked up that stage and began to speak to us.


I wept during her session as she awakened a deep sense of purpose in my soul.


Chichi was not only beautiful, she had dished CP's threat a technical knock-out and incredibly reached for her dreams and beyond.

Think Equal

Cerebral Palsy can be a heavy weight to live with.

Living with CP and being female in a time  (80's) when the girl child had limited opportunities, was enough to shut every ounce of aspiration Chichi could possibly nurse; but she went on to study Law here in Nigeria.

She is the first person with Cerebral Palsy to graduate from Nigerian Law School in 1988.

At Law school, she met her amazing and ever supportive  husband- Tony Iromuanya.

Today, Chichi is a disability advocate, a health coach, motivational speaker and author. 

In her words, "Of everything that I am, none give me joy like being the wife of my husband and the mother of my four sons."


In an interview lately with  Loretta, Chichi says,

"My type of disability is made complex by the unique movement pattern of one living with cerebral palsy. 


It may amaze you to know that I am totally unaware of these movements because by some luck, I manage to live in some level of denial about my condition, which enables me to dare to do the things that others do without the inhibitions of self-doubt. 

Occasionally, I am reminded of my uniqueness when I watch a video of myself or when others remind me that I am different, somehow almost immediately I get this revelation, I revert to my default, which is functioning as one without inhibitions.

Build Smart


As the CEO and founder of Enabled Life Foundation, Nigeria, Chichi has set her sight on empowering, providing support and ministering to the needs of individuals living with disabilities in our communities and around the world.

She could have built a bitter, envious life but instead she used her fire to provide warmth for others.

In her words, 

"Life is like living with cerebral palsy. Many times uncoordinated, other times hopeless, some times even painful and lonely, always under construction. 

They both (Life and Cerebral Palsy) are challenging gifts but we must find reasons to notice the sun, then smile again and again.

Always remember the red lipstick or whatever helps you stay beautiful, especially when  in battle. We must find balance."


Innovate for Change

At the time Chichi grew up in Nigeria, there were no role models.

 She didn't see anyone that had any form of disability make any remarkable progress in education, relationship or any other aspect of life. 

They were hidden behind closed doors! It was disheartening to still learn that 50 years later not much has changed.

Chichi rose to the challenge to change the narrative through her books, and several life changing events via the enabled life organization.


Her book, healing through my stories is a captivating reveal of her trials, triumphs and trophies as one living with Cerebral Palsy.

Chichi isn't only changing the narrative, she has become a succour for disabled people dealing with discrimination and stigmatization.

Hear her for yourself,

 "The stigma faced by my people  was enormous. I decided through the Enabled life to break the silence concerning living a full life with disability. 

I decided to lead Nigeria to experience the new face of ability in disability.

 To let them know that yes we can excel in every aspect of life. We are beautiful, intelligent and dynamic."

At an Enabled life event

When asked how she is able to do all she does despite CP?

Chichi says, 

"Do not ask me how one can accomplish these things with Cerebral Palsy? I truly do not know how it happened. 


I owe my gratitude to the Almighty God, for equipping me with all I needed to function despite all odds.

I am also grateful for the family I was born into especially my Mum.

My Mum was the one who never accepted any signs of weakness from me. From a young age, she made me believe I could do anything.


My family never treated me differently. In fact they challenged me by always expecting more from me."

Today, we not only celebrate Chichi, we celebrate her mother who raised such an incredible gift for our generation despite how challenging it was.

Lady Beatrice Umeadi Anyaehie (Chichi Iro's Mum)

Although Mama passed on 8 years ago, she remains an Icon worthy of emulation.  From her commitment to raising her daughter, we are inspired to build smart. Click to donate to Enabled Life Organization


Dear sister, mother, wife, CEO, niece, aunty, cousin, Happy International Women's day.

Lead a forward life by deciding to THINK EQUAL, BUILD SMART and INNOVATE FOR CHANGE!

Committed to your fulfilment




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GOD IS KIND: The emptiness of hope

Read part 1 here  In Lagos, I fell ill as soon as I landed. The city is crazy. The traffic is unholy and the carbon monoxide infested air is an extension of hell. I didn't want to get back on that road to any hospital so we got a qualified nurse to come treat me at home.  The Nurse said she couldn't treat me except I did a pregnancy test alongside malaria test. Both came out positive. I was glad that the sickness wasn't Lagos madness inspired. My baby must have wanted to notify me since I refused to take a second look. Unfortunately, she used one of those quinine brands  in attempt to protect the baby. She sadly didn't check with me first.  I became miserable from all the itching like one who hugged devil's beans. I tried to rest as much as I could and thoroughly enjoyed both my family and ministry itinerary while being pampered like an egg. I preached passionately at the event I was invited to. I talked about loving God and serving him devotedly even when disa

GOD IS KIND: The Integrity of his promises

  Read part 5 here My stomach started bulging. I sent pictures of us to my family. My sister-in-law posted on her WhatsApp status. About two or more people told her my face looked pregnant. She told me and I said my usual, Amen. After all, someone that’s been declaring herself pregnant since August should truly look pregnant by December 😂😂 I focused on my vacation, determined to thoroughly enjoy myself. One morning we all hit the gym and I led a dance exercise. Worried about my bulging tummy, I used a vintage  vibrating exercise belt  on my belly. Click the word to see how it works. It vibrated so intensely that my belly “caught fire” I begged to stop. Vacation was over we went  home. At this point, it was barely 3 days to 2021. I had an assignment to submit at school. I started writing it but noticed it was a struggle. It felt as though something foreign had hit my brain. I was also hosting a 12-hour prayer-thon. I managed to pull through these. Then we went for cross over service a

WHY DO “LOOSE” GIRLS MARRY FASTER?

“If this life has anything to gain at all, I’ll count it lost if I can’t hear you feel you, cause I need you…” rang my amazing ringtone by Lecrae. I picked up the sleek darling to see who misses me. It was this pretty friend of mine. Ada (Not real name) and I met at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in our first year. We had a lot in common and she was just my type (whatever that means) LOL. Anyway, I was (and still am) literally and figuratively in love with God and I noticed her heart was committed to God and His standards too. Well, we graduated four years later and you know how life happens. We haven’t really kept in touch for a while. I heard sometime back that she was engaged and I called to say congratulations.  We talked about how life had been since after school and how we both are still fervently loving and serving the Lord. She said her wedding was three months away and I told her I definitely needed the aso-ebi (A uniform material sold to people who wis