Skip to main content

MYRRH BETWEEN MY BREASTS




 I love what I have with the Lord.
It is an honour to enjoy God as Lord, to enjoy him as King, as Shepherd, Protector, defender, Secret Keeper, Sin-Stain remover and ultimately as lover.

You might agree with me that the christian faith is so refreshing as we encounter diverse dimensions of God on our journey.

The book of Song of Solomon or Song of Songs is one of my favourite books of the bible. Not to say, I didn't have a "do not approach" mindset to it during my single days.  (Laughs)

Like most believers who dread the book because of its sensual overtone, I didn't really begin studying it till after I got married. 

I am not sure why I waited that long because way back in my single days, I already had some level of depth with Christ as a lover. I wrote him many poems as an overflow of our romance but my eyes weren't open to the well of love in song of songs until one day (my now married days), the Lord sent me there on our love rendezvous. 
Ever since, the book of songs stopped being something weird. It became my favourite. I wish the Lord opened my eyes earlier.


Let's quickly see the verse below



A bundle of myrrh is my wellbeloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts. Song of Solomon 1:13 (KJV)

In this chapter, We see a conversation between the shulamite woman (She) whom I believe represents (You and I) and the bride groom (He) whom I believe is Christ.


What was she trying to express to her beloved, the groom, In that verse?

Myrrh is a sap-like substance (resin) that comes out of cuts in the bark of trees of a certain specie.  

In Solomon's time and in some parts of the east today, myrrh is highly valuable. Remember that it was one of the three gifts given to Jesus? It is that valuable. 

Its value is tied to its numerous benefits and uses, some of which includes purificationperfumery, and more as seen below1.

In aromatherapy, Myrrh Essential Oil is known to offer relief for colds, congestion, coughs, bronchitis, and phlegm. Inhaling its sedative scent is known to lift negative moods, promote the feeling of being grounded, and encourage the feeling of spiritual awakening. 

Used topically, Myrrh Essential Oil facilitates the fading of unwanted blemishes on the skin, soothes itchiness, and reduces symptoms of eczema among other skin ailments. It effectively cleans, moisturizes, and tightens the skin, thereby reducing and preventing further chapping, cracking, and sagging.
Used in a massage, Myrrh Essential Oil strengthens the muscles and smooths the skin while promoting relaxation. Its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties address symptoms of indigestion and prevent toxins from accumulating in the circulatory system.  

Used medicinally, Myrrh Essential Oil facilitates the healing of wounds by protecting them from infection and by calming tissue inflammation. Its astringent property helps prevent wounds from hemorrhaging, thus preventing excessive blood loss.


A close look at all the above benefits of myrrh, reveals how valuable the shulamite considered her beloved. He had been all of this and more to her in many times. It was the value of his usefulness she was trying to communicate to him and to us.

Through the night...

A bundle of myrrh is my wellbeloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts. Song of Solomon 1:13 (KJV)

Night in the verse can be seen as a trying moment, a time of pain, hurt, sorrow and perhaps loss.  I have seen a few dark nights enough to know the sweetness of Christ, his soothing fragrance, the purity of his love, the warmth of his healing power and the anti-oxidant properties of his love protecting my heart from the impurities of malice, revenge, bitterness and hatred, enough to understand the shulamite's words,  "..he shall lie all night betwixt my breast".

She was saying, through my dark season, I will hold on to my dear lover, the christ. I will make him priority in my heart. I will focus on Him, inhaling and enjoying the fragrance of his love though my night season.

Read: Your faith in Trials

Have you realized how valuable Jesus is? Is he as precious to you like the groom to the Shulamite; So much that you can hold him dear to heart in your night season? Is he valuable to you? Would you hold on to him through your pain?

I pray our eyes open to the diverse usefulness of Jesus in every season of our lives, so we can like the shulamite say,  

A bundle of myrrh is Christ, my lover unto me; he shall remain in my heart through the night seasons and beyond.

To know the value/worth of Christ, is to know and have an endless romance with dimensions of his person.




Committed to your fulfilment

Anne Emeka-Obiajunwa


Meanwhile, this post is an excerpt of our study at The Birthplace Foundation.
We are set to raise people who are aligned with God and we are doing that through discipleship. Below is 4 of 12 monthly guides by which we are fulfilling this mandate. If you are looking for a community to grow and wax strong in your spiritual life, I guarantee you, this is the place. Join here


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GOD IS KIND: The emptiness of hope

Read part 1 here  In Lagos, I fell ill as soon as I landed. The city is crazy. The traffic is unholy and the carbon monoxide infested air is an extension of hell. I didn't want to get back on that road to any hospital so we got a qualified nurse to come treat me at home.  The Nurse said she couldn't treat me except I did a pregnancy test alongside malaria test. Both came out positive. I was glad that the sickness wasn't Lagos madness inspired. My baby must have wanted to notify me since I refused to take a second look. Unfortunately, she used one of those quinine brands  in attempt to protect the baby. She sadly didn't check with me first.  I became miserable from all the itching like one who hugged devil's beans. I tried to rest as much as I could and thoroughly enjoyed both my family and ministry itinerary while being pampered like an egg. I preached passionately at the event I was invited to. I talked about loving God and serving him devotedly even when disa

GOD IS KIND: The Integrity of his promises

  Read part 5 here My stomach started bulging. I sent pictures of us to my family. My sister-in-law posted on her WhatsApp status. About two or more people told her my face looked pregnant. She told me and I said my usual, Amen. After all, someone that’s been declaring herself pregnant since August should truly look pregnant by December 😂😂 I focused on my vacation, determined to thoroughly enjoy myself. One morning we all hit the gym and I led a dance exercise. Worried about my bulging tummy, I used a vintage  vibrating exercise belt  on my belly. Click the word to see how it works. It vibrated so intensely that my belly “caught fire” I begged to stop. Vacation was over we went  home. At this point, it was barely 3 days to 2021. I had an assignment to submit at school. I started writing it but noticed it was a struggle. It felt as though something foreign had hit my brain. I was also hosting a 12-hour prayer-thon. I managed to pull through these. Then we went for cross over service a

WHY DO “LOOSE” GIRLS MARRY FASTER?

“If this life has anything to gain at all, I’ll count it lost if I can’t hear you feel you, cause I need you…” rang my amazing ringtone by Lecrae. I picked up the sleek darling to see who misses me. It was this pretty friend of mine. Ada (Not real name) and I met at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in our first year. We had a lot in common and she was just my type (whatever that means) LOL. Anyway, I was (and still am) literally and figuratively in love with God and I noticed her heart was committed to God and His standards too. Well, we graduated four years later and you know how life happens. We haven’t really kept in touch for a while. I heard sometime back that she was engaged and I called to say congratulations.  We talked about how life had been since after school and how we both are still fervently loving and serving the Lord. She said her wedding was three months away and I told her I definitely needed the aso-ebi (A uniform material sold to people who wis